Your questions

We’re here to help resolve any concerns you may have

We’ve listed below our most common questions and provided answers and guidance below. We also have some specific client FAQ’s you can review

General query about an Advantis account

We’re a debt collection agency working on behalf of some of the UK’s biggest blue-chip companies & public-sector bodies. We are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and are members of the Credit Services Association (CSA), so you can be confident that we will always act in a professional & compliant manner. Our Collections Agents are debt specialists, and will work with you to find the most appropriate solution for your needs. We’ll be flexible to your circumstances and adapt our approach to suit your situation.

You will have received a letter or a phone call from us because one of your creditors has passed your account to us. They will have done this because they believe you owe them money. As debt collection specialists, our role is to work with you in order to find the best solution for your circumstances in order to resolve the account.

We take the protection of customer data very seriously, and so before we give out any sensitive information or personal details, we want to make sure that we are speaking to the correct individual. In order to do this, we’ll ask you a couple of security questions such as your name, address and date of birth or telephone number, so we can be confident that you are the customer we need to speak to.

We take customer security extremely seriously, and are compliant with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS). The standard has 12 high level requirements to ensure that card data is protected. This means you can be confident that Advantis are processing your card details in a compliant, secure & responsible way.

If you can’t afford to pay the whole amount in one go, we’ll help you to set up a payment arrangement that suits your circumstances, is sustainable and affordable. You can do this via our self service portal or you can call us on 01782 401100 where one of our trained advisors will be happy to help. In order to ensure that any arrangement set up meets your circumstances, it would be helpful if you have an idea of your household income and expenditure to hand when you call.

There are always solutions to your problems and this is never the right course of action. If you ignore the reminder letters then it opens the door for your creditor to take further action, which may include legal action. If this is a route they take, it could result in further costs being added to the amount you already owe.

The best thing is to get in touch with us. We will ask you some questions to gain an understanding of why the outstanding is not due and, if needed, we will investigate on your behalf with our client. In most cases we will need a few details to aid us in looking into the matter (for example, if you believe the account has already been paid, when was it paid, how was it paid and to who?) so it would help us to resolve the situation quickly if you could provide as much information as possible when contacting us.

If we are trying to contact someone who does not live at the address we hold, please let us know by emailing or calling us on 01782 401100. When our clients send us customer accounts they include contact details. We will verify this information with credit reference agencies to make sure we hold the most up-to-date details. Occasionally, despite our best efforts, this information can be out of date which may be why you have received contact from us. Please be assured that this contact will have absolutely no impact on your address or credit file. Once we have been informed that we hold the incorrect information, we will update this on our systems so you receive no further contact from us.

The best thing to do is to call us so we understand your circumstances and can explain these to our client. We’ll offer you support and our team will be able to answer any questions you might have about your account. We’ll never ask you to pay anything you can’t afford. If you’re worried about your debts, there are several organisations that offer free confidential and impartial advice.

Many of our clients update the credit reference agencies in regards to whether or not you are repaying your account. Non-payment can lower your credit score and make it less likely that you can successfully obtain credit (for example, this could include a mortgage, loan, credit card, mobile phone or insurance).
For more information about your credit file, including viewing the information on your file, you can contact one of the three main credit reference agencies; Call Credit, Equifax or Experian.

Yes, we’re happy to liaise with anyone you choose to act on your behalf – we’ll just need your permission to share your information with them first, and details of what information you’re happy for us to share with them. We work with debt management companies, charities, money advice services and also partners, family and friends who are helping our customers with their finances.

Advantis are committed to providing a friendly & professional service. If you would like to give us feedback, please complete our Feedback Form.

At Advantis we pride ourselves on finding the best solution for our customers. In the event that something has gone wrong and you are unhappy with the service you have received, you can contact us on 01782 401100 or email to tell us about your complaint. We will look into and resolve your concerns in line with our complaints process.

If your account is related to our HMRC client

We work with HMRC to collect a variety of tax debts. 

You can confirm our authority to act by visiting the HMRC website:

I paid my tax, why do I have a debt?

This could be due to a number of factors. The amount outstanding could be a surcharge relating to late or non-return. The payment could also have been allocated to a different tax year if there was another outstanding amount. It could also be an estimate, penalty or surcharge if a return was not made. We would suggest that you contact us so that one of our trained advisors can investigate this for you.

Why is this the first time I’m hearing of this matter?

HMRC have sent three letters to the address registered with them prior to placing the account with Advantis. If you have not received these it is possible that you have not updated HMRC with your current address.

Please can I have a breakdown of what I owe?

We’re happy to help – please contact us on 01782 401100 and one of our trained advisors will be able to assist you with your query.

I’ve got a tax return due – I don’t need to pay this

The current balance could incur further interest and charges if it remains unpaid, which could lead to you owing more than expected. We would suggest contacting us on 01782 401100 to arrange repayment. If an adjustment is required following your next return then a rebate will be issued by HMRC.

My tax return was wrong

HMRC expect returns to be accurate and on time. Whilst the account is outstanding, HMRC may add further surcharges and interest for non/late-payment. It may therefore be in your best interest to contact us to arrange repayment. Once your next return is submitted a rebate can be calculated by HMRC if due.

My accountant is dealing with this – why do I have penalties

You are the individual responsible in law. Your accountant is not responsible for payment and any enforcement action will be taken against you if payment is not made, therefore we would strongly suggest that you contact us as soon as possible so we can work with you to find the best solution for your circumstances. If you would like your accountant to contact us on your behalf, we will need either a copy of your 64-8 form or written authority from you authorising your accountant to deal with this matter for you.

I gave my accountant the money to pay this

Please contact us providing the details of the payment made to HMRC (date, amount, method of payment, funds cleared date etc.) so we can investigate this matter on your behalf.

My accountant has told me I don’t need to pay this yet

The HMRC process requires that when a balance is produced as an estimate, it is paid on time in line with the process. Non-payment will result in interest and penalties being added to the outstanding balance.

All payments have been made to HMRC

There could be a misallocation of funds and the outstanding amount could be for a different year. If you can contact us and provide us with information on the payment already made to HMRC we can investigate this on your behalf.

I don’t want to pay this as it is offset against a different head of duty

Please provide confirmation in writing from HMRC of the offset arrangement if it has yet to begin. We will then be able to look into this matter for you. If already offset, please provide full details to allow us to investigate.

I think I’m already in a payment plan for this with HMRC

This may be for a different tax year. Please contact us with all the relevant information regarding your payment plan so we can investigate and resolve this for you.

I’ve never been self-employed, why have I had this from HMRC?

The most common reason for a person being registered for self-assessment is that they are self-employed, however there can be many other reasons including:

  • You’re a company director
  • You’re a minister of faith (e.g priest)
  • Your annual income is £100,000 or moreYou have income from savings,
  • investment or property
  • You need to claim expenses or reliefs
  • You or your partner receive Child
  • Benefit and your income is over £50,000
  • You get income from overseas
  • You have income from trusts, settlements and estates
  • You have Capital Gains Tax to pay (income from sale of asset)
  • You’ve lived or worked abroad or aren’t domiciled in the UK
  • You’re a trustee

    If none of these reasons seem to fit with your circumstances then please contact us on 01782 401100 where one of our agents can investigate this on your behalf.

I’m no longer self employed

You will need to contact HMRC to de-register as self-employed. In the meantime the outstanding amount is due. We can provide you further information regarding the process to de-register. Please contact us on 01782 401100.

My company is dormant – I don’t owe this

If HMRC have not been informed that the company is dormant or were informed after the due date then the balance is still due. If you informed HMRC prior to the balance due date, please contact us with the relevant proof (e.g. proof of postage) so we may investigate on your behalf.

I don’t have any employees

HMRC require that submissions are completed regardless of number of employees.

I’ve ceased trading

You will need to contact HMRC to de-register. In the meantime the outstanding amount is due. We can provide you with further information regarding the process to de-register. Please contact us on 01782 401100.

The overpayment is likely due to one of two reasons, either;

i) The renewal was not submitted in time which meant that HMRC continued to pay Tax Credits at the previous rate until this was received and the renewal details meant a change in Tax Credit circumstances resulting in an overpayment
ii) Or; when renewal was received, a change in circumstances had taken place during the year that HMRC were not aware of, resulting in an overpayment.

Please contact us and we will be happy to discuss your circumstances to assist you in resolving the matter.

The Tax Credits went into my partners account – why do I have to pay?

As the Tax Credit Claim was dual liability, both parties are liable for the repayment of monies owed. Please contact us and we will happy to discuss this further.

I’ve split up with my partner so I don’t think I should pay anything

As the Tax Credit claim was in joint names, both parties are liable. Please contact us so we can help you to resolve this matter and update HMRC’s records accordingly.

If your account is related to our DVLA client

Advantis work with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to recover outstanding fines.
Your details have been passed to us because your vehicle has not been taxed or had a statutory off road notification (SORN), resulting in a fine that the DVLA has asked Advantis to recover.
Non-payment of the penalty is a civil offence under Section 7a of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 and, if your vehicle remains unlicensed, your vehicle could be clamped, removed and impounded incurring release and storage fees. You must insure and tax your vehicle if it is not SORN. If you don’t, you’ll automatically be fined for not having a SORN. If you have taxed your vehicle or declared a SORN since receiving notification of the fine, the penalty is still payable.
Further information about taxing your vehicle or making a SORN declaration can be found on the website

Updating your driving license details will not automatically update your vehicle details. You would need to inform the DVLA of both license and vehicle changes.

As the Registered Keeper of the vehicle, it is your responsibility under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act to ensure you keep track of when your vehicle is due to be taxed or SORN and take action accordingly. Even if you did not receive a reminder from the DVLA the fine will still be due.

It is the Registered Keeper’s responsibility to ensure the vehicle is continuously licensed or declared SORN. If you were abroad when your tax/SORN expired then alternative arrangements should have been made such as paying online or in advance. The fine is still due.

DVLA will require proof of scrappage (certificate of destruction). Please contact us so we can gather the necessary information and help you with your query.

If the DVLA were not notified or the V5C not received then as the Registered Keeper, you will remain liable. If you believe the DVLA were notified then please contact us so we can investigate this for you.

Unfortunately now the fine has been passed to us to recover, there is no longer any opportunity for the outstanding amount to be reduced and the full amount must be repaid.

If your account is related to The Offical Receiver

The Official Receiver may pass an Income Payments Agreement or Order (IPO or IPA) to a third-party agency such as Advantis to monitor payments and deal with on-going administration. Once your IPA or IPO has been passed over to us, any payments towards this agreement must be made to Advantis.

The amount you are required to pay has been assessed based on your present financial circumstances. Therefore, should your circumstances change in any way you must contact us immediately. If you are having difficulty making the payments, we can talk through your circumstances and work to find a resolution. Please call us on 01782971404 to speak to one of our specialist account managers. It is important that the agreement is maintained to avoid action being taken against you.

Payments under Income Payment Agreements are payable for the length of the agreement unless varied by The Official Receiver. You will therefore be required to continue to make payments even though you may be discharged from your bankruptcy earlier than this.

At Advantis we take the privacy of your personal information very seriously. Before divulging any information regarding your account over the phone we will always ask a series of questions to ensure we are speaking to the correct person, which may include your address, date of birth, contact information or details regarding the account. 

We are here to help you get this matter resolved and ignoring it is never the right course of actionIf you fail to make your agreed payments, then your employer may be contacted and asked to deduct those amounts from your wages. Alternatively, court action may be taken. 

latest news

All the latest news from Advantis Credit

Its Official we’re a Great Place to work!

A key objective over the past few years for Advantis Credit has been to create a strong people culture. In May ...
Read More

Customer Satisfaction Survey

Number of Responses Customer feedback is a key part of ensuring we are consistently providing an appropriate and fair experience for ...
Read More

Customer Service

Over the last eighteen months, our industry has seen tremendous change, from Covid-enforced new working practices and the impact on our ...
Read More